The National Museum Wales is undertaking essential maintenance works at the National Museum, Cathays in order to address issues relating to water ingress and damage to the internal fabric. The works will involve the following packages:
- Replacement of asphalt roofing and existing roof lights.
- Works to parapet walls including temporary removal of building services.
- Works to adjust the falls of existing roof surfaces.
- Additional rainwater pipes, overflows, and gulleys.
- Replace and enhance existing roof maintenance access and safety equipment.
- Redecorate and replace some finishes within the internal spaces below including M&E services.
- Replacement of louvers to galleries 11-16 including M&E services and controls.
The building is Grade I Listed and will require close involvement with CADW. Temporary over-roof structures will be installed to ensure internal spaces, exhibits, and artifacts in areas below the works are fully protected from potential weather ingress.
The museum will remain operational throughout the contract period and sectional completions are required to accommodate some pre-arranged events and exhibitions.